Camano Island Retreat
This private and natural residence on Camano Island, Washington captures the essence of “island life.” Perched on a high bluff overlooking Puget Sound, Whidbey Island and the Olympic Mountains, this residence has the feel of an island retreat, yet is only 45 minutes from downtown Seattle.
The homeowners wanted a landscape that reflected the natural beauty of the surrounding environment and our natural connection to the earth. Massive granite boulders, some weighing more than nine tons and standing seven feet tall, provided the “bones “of the landscape.
Meandering gravel pathways allow for a sense of a journey through the garden. Native plants helped to blend the property’s border and to attract wildlife. A custom chicken coop and a large vegetable garden create a natural connection to the earth each time the family sits down to eat.
Two fireplaces, one stone and one stained concrete, allow the owners and their friends and family to relax together on cool evenings. Multiple patio areas in front and back yards provide plenty of entertaining spaces as well.
Sustainable garden features include:
- Recycled concrete gravel instead of virgin in prepared subgrades
- Native and drought tolerant plantings to attract wildlife and to conserve water
- Care taken to not disturb surrounding existing native areas
- Organic soil amendments and mulch
- Gravel paths and driveway (pervious surfaces)
- Custom chicken coop and organic vegetable garden
- Drip irrigation system